Tips for FLSE

 

Click Here for Fire Prevention Education

 

Electrical Fire Safety

  • Replace old outlets with a three-pronged polarized plugs (only if your circuit has a ground wire).
  • Install plastic safety covers in unused outlets to protect children.
  • Keep irons, space heaters, and all heat-producing appliances at least three feet away from anything that can burn.
  • Unplug toasters, coffeemakers, and all small appliances when they’re not in use.
  • Replace cracked and frayed electrical cords.
  • Do not pinch cords against walls or furniture or run them under carpets or across doorways.
  • Use bulbs that match the lamps’ recommended wattage.
  • Use shades that will protect the bulb from breaking if the lamp is knocked over.
  • Never run extension cords across lawns, walks, or driveways, and use only extension cords rated for outdoor use.
  • Keep ladders (especially metal ones) far away from power lines, including the electrical service into your home.

Home Fire Extinguishers

How to operate your extinguisher, remember the acronym P.A.S.S.

  • P ull the pin that unlocks the operating lever.
  • A im low, point the extinguisher nozzle or hose at the base of the fire.
  • S queeze the lever above the handle to discharge the extinguishing agent.
  • S weep the nozzle or hose from side to side. Moving carefully toward the flames, keep the extinguisher aimed at the base of the fire and sweep back and forth.

Fighting small fires: Before you fight a fire, be sure that. . . . . .

  • You have confidence to fight the fire.
  • Everyone else has left the building and someone is calling the fire department.
  • The fire is small, confined, and not spreading.
  • You have an unobstructed escape route.
  • Your extinguisher matches the fire.

Match Your Extinguisher to the Fire

  • Class A fires involve paper, wood, and other ordinary combustibles.
  • Class B fires involve flammable liquids, such as oil and gasoline.
  • Class C fires involve energized electrical equipment, such as power tools, wiring, fuse boxes, appliances, TVs, computers, and electrical motors.

“Candle with Care”

  • Never leave a burning candle unattended. Extinguish all candles when you leave the room or go to bed.
  • Keep candles at least three feet away from anything that can burn.
  • Do not place lit candles in windows or near doorways, where drafts could bring combustibles in contact with the flame.
  • Keep candle wicks trimmed to one-quarter inch.
  • Extinguish candles when they burn down to within two inches of their holder or any decorative material.
  • Never leave a child unattended in a room with a burning candle.
  • Do not allow children or teens to burn candles in their bedrooms.
  • Store candles, matches, and lighters up high and out of children’s sight and reach; preferably in a locked cabinet.
  • Keep candles way from natural and artificial Christmas trees.

E.D.I.T.H (Exit Drills In The Home)

Plan Your Escape: If you know what to do when you hear the smoke alarm, you can survive a fire in your home.

  • Draw a floor plan of your home; show two ways out of each room.
  • Agree on an outside meeting place in front of your home where everyone will gather after they escaped.
  • Practice! Hold home fire drills. Make them realistic by pretending some exits are blocked by smoke or fire.
  • Provide alternatives for everyone with a disability.
  • Can everyone in your home open windows?
  • If your windows have security bars, are they equipped with inside quick-release devices?
  • Can children reach and open all door and window locks?
  • Close doors behind you as you escape to slow the spread of fire and smoke.
  • If you have to escape through smoke, crawl, keeping your head one to two feet above the floor, where the air will be cleanest.
  • Test doorknobs and spaces around the door with the back of your hand. If the door is warm, try another escape route. If it’s cool, open it slowly. Slam it shut if smoke pours through.

Kitchen Fire Safety

  • Do not leave the kitchen while food is cooking on the stove top.
  • Keep pot holders, food packaging, cookbooks, and other combustibles off your stove top.
  • Keep curtains, dish towels, and anything that burns away from your stove.
  • Turn pot handles in so that you can’t bump them.
  • Open microwaved food slowly.  Let it cool before eating.
  • Never use a wet oven mitt.  A hot pan could turn heat dampness into scalding steam.
  • If a pan of food catches fire, prevent flair ups by leaving the pan covered until it is completely cool. Do not use a fire extinguisher or throw water on the fire. This can splatter burning grease and spread the fire.  Smother the fire by sliding a lid over the pan.  Turn off the burner.
  • Turn off the heat and keep the oven door closed.
  • Keep the door closed and unplug the microwave.  Have the oven serviced before you use it again.
  • Report all fires to your department, even if you think you’ve put them out.
  • Loose clothing can catch fire.  Wear tight-fitting clothes or roll up your sleeves.
  • Declare a three-foot “kid-free zone” around your stove and keep children and pets away while you cook.

City of New Bern
PO Box 1129
New Bern, NC 28563-1129
Fire Dept. Main # (252) 639-2931
City Phone Directory